[arg_discuss] Looking for Resources on Engaging Casual Players in ARGs

Ian Pottmeyer ian at studiocypher.com
Thu Jun 6 11:32:24 EDT 2013

If you want to see more of this tutorial style of gameplay, Valve games are
an absolute treasure trove. Check out Portal 1, I'm pretty sure the in-game
developer commentary talks about how they designed the levels to teach.

Put short, they'll have one level where they teach you a concept very
explicitly: "DO THIS" Then they'll immediately follow that with a level
where you have to use the skill you were just taught in order to progress.
They don't tell you that's the case, they let you figure it out yourself.
Since the new technique is still fresh in your mind, you're more likely to
be still thinking about it, and using it in the next area feels natural,
and that solidifies it in your gameplay repertoire.

- Ian

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Lorraine Hopping Egan <games at hoppingfun.com