[arg_discuss] Looking for Resources on Engaging Casual Players in ARGs

Brice Clocher mangatome at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 10:37:35 EDT 2013

Hey everybody,

Last March and April, I conducted an ARG project in the French university
INSA de Lyon.

The ARG was designed to engage people in a story revolving around the
library, with the intent to improve the visibility of the latter.

We created the ARG keeping in mind that our audience was primarily casual,
and it yielded very interesting results (that we are still preparing for
public release), but in the end, it only managed to engage a very limited
part of the audience that it was visible to.

Now I am on a contract to design another ARG, but this time at the scale of
a city, and still targeting casual players, therefore I am trying to ensure
that this one will engage a bigger ratio of people.

Can you point out any useful resource I can read for that matter ?

I've read Montola et al.'s Pervasive Games, and the ARG SIG's Whitepapers
on the wiki (http://wiki.igda.org/Alternate_Reality_Games_SIG/Whitepaper).

Do you have other cool resources for me to read ?

Thanks in advance
Brice