[arg_discuss] ARG movies?

Geneviève Cardin baroblik at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 27 05:07:56 EDT 2012

The only thing that seems to look like what you're looking for, as I
recall, is a one hour episode of the TV show Nub3rs that I saw on CBS
in 2007.
Only missing few minutes to be consider as a movie ;)

http://areacodeinc.com/projects/chain-factor-numb3rs-arg/

The Cube was not really based on ARG, but if you have spare time, you
might want to take a look at it.

Le 12-03-27 à 04:27, Jaakko Stenros a écrit :

> Quoting Markus Montola <markus.montola at uta.fi>:

> This one is just around the corner: http://www.theinstitutemovie.com/

> Could you specify a little bit more what it is that you are looking

> for?

> Jaakko

>> I'm not sure if *any* ARG movies exist.

>> But if you are looking for pervasive games movies -- as in "games

>> that blur the boundary between play and ordinary life" -- then you

>> might want to look at these for instance:

>> http://pervasivegames.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/20/

>> http://pervasivegames.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/pervasive-games-in-films-part-ii-the-last-of-sheila/

>> http://pervasivegames.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/pervasive-games-in-films-part-iii-midnight-madness/

>> http://pervasivegames.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/pervasive-games-in-films-part-iv-bruno/

>> Also the documentary killer.berlin.doc.

>> You can look up more that kind of stuff from our book Pervasive

>> Games -- we even dug out some ancient episode of The Saint which

>> featured the Death Game, and probably contributed a lot to the

>> spread of the assassination games:

>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0693517/fullcredits

>> Pardon the self-promotion, :-)

>> - Markus Montola

>> On 3/27/12 4:40 AM, John Willoughby wrote:

>>> No offense intended but I think that's an impossibly vague

>>> description. ARG

>>> is such a fuzzy category...

>>> If you mean arg as in alternate reality, then there are many

>>> examples to

>>> choose from. From "20,000 leagues" to "The genetic opera" and

>>> everything in

>>> between.

>>> If you mean arg as in what most of the people who frequent

>>> unfiction.com

>>> would think of...that's different.

>>> And even then do you mean something that is totally TINAG and simply

>>> presents an "I wake up and the world is different"? or something

>>> that

>>> features a "game" and pulls back a curtain (at least at some

>>> point) - like

>>> "The Game"?

>>> An ARG definition fits so well the old joke about "ask 10 people,

>>> get 12

>>> answers".

>>> And then, how narrow are you defining a "film"? Can it be a

>>> reasonable

>>> length of assorted vid like Marble Hornets or iamamiwhoami? Or

>>> does it have

>>> to be a contiguous 1-2 hour production?

>>> Subject: [arg_discuss] ARG movies?

>>> Hello List,

>>> I am wondering if anyone here knows about feature length

>>> documentaries or

>>> fictional films made about ARG experiences. We know about "The

>>> Game" and

>>> "eXistenZ" which gesture toward pervasive gaming. I am speaking

>>> more

>>> specifically about contemporary movies which focus on ARG / Trans-

>>> Media