[arg_discuss] The Dorklyst: 7 Reasons You Don't Want To Work in the Video Game Industry

Thomas Maillioux thomas.maillioux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 06:17:57 EST 2011

There are a lot of supposedly glamourous fields that young people will be
eager to jump in, only to be disenchanted after - pop-culture related ones
easily come to mind, because we don't always realize how much hard, tough,
gritty work it involves. The video game industry is a great example in
that, when you're only on the gamer side of things, you can't help but
imagine how COOL it must be to work on the next Skyrim/Saint's Row/Virtua
Bread Rider <http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/05/15> - and the
reactions from some gamers can be pretty ugly when one breaks that bubble
for them.

I recently attended a day-long series of very interesting conferences on
the relationship between marketing and video games, how both have used each
other for quite some time now (Pepsi
Invaders<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRg6jH_DdAY>anyone ?) and how
marketing tools and approaches can be used in the design
and success-tracking of a video game title. Some of the people who weren't
attending the conference in meatspace litterally ripped the conferences
apart over Twitter on accounts of OMGMARKETING - I found that a little sad.

Also, one of my Brit buddies Marc moved to Canada just to work for a big
video games company. *ticks #6*

2011/11/20 Sheri Rubin <sheri at designdirectdeliver.com>

> http://www.dorkly.com/article/**27379/the-dorklyst-7-reasons-**

> you-dont-want-to-work-in-the-**video-game-industry<http://www.dorkly.com/article/27379/the-dorklyst-7-reasons-you-dont-want-to-work-in-the-video-game-industry>

> I have lived #4 (go QA!) so many times it's not even funny.

> Sheri

> --

> *Sheri Rubin*

> Founder and CEO