[arg_discuss] Software for managing games/events/player communication

Necole Duncan neekono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 12:02:20 EST 2010

We (Pistolsniffer Industries <http://pistolsniffer.com/>) have used Ning for
all of our games, and it accomplishes most of what you’ve mentioned. If you
would like to take a look at how we use it, we have a game running now for
which we’ve set up a network.

Here is the main website for the game. It leads to the Ning network and a
YouTube channel:

http://larp-hard.com/

Ning is a great way to keep all of the most important information needed for
game play in one place. We use the discussion boards to issue player
challenges, which adds to the game element of the story. LARP Hard is a
murder mystery. Sophia the Soft was killed during a LARP festival when a
mechanical dragon head fell on her. The other LARP Hard founders decided to
expand the group after her death, so the network was created. Players
discovered through a Sticky
Itchers<http://www.youtube.com/user/StickyItchers>video that the death
was not an accident, and they must interact with the
characters (mostly through the Ning, which also has a private messaging
function) to discover which one of the founders did it.

Jane McGonigal’s most recent game, Urgent Evoke<http://www.urgentevoke.com/>,
also used Ning as the center of the game. It’s customizable, so by the time
they were done with it only those familiar with the platform would really
know it for a Ning network. It works very well for a game in which player
interaction is important. It allows them to easily share their own thoughts
and creations with each other and with the characters in the game. One of
the problems we’ve had with the forums is that players don’t always post
their interactions, which excludes the other players from that part of the
experience. However, Ning makes all communication except private messages
available to anyone on the network.

The only problem I see with using Ning is that it is possible that the most
casual lurkers, the largest section of the target audience, might not join
the network. The content of the network is not visible unless a player signs
up, and that might discourage some people.

Hope that helps!

Necole Duncan