[arg_discuss] ARG SIG Elections are open until May 14th - Please Vote

Sheri Rubin sheri at designdirectdeliver.com
Mon May 3 16:32:16 EDT 2010

Below are the personal statements by candidates for the May 2010 ARG SIG
Elections.

Presented in alphabetical order by last name.

Andrea Phillips:
I'm the current ARG SIG chairman. As such, you already have a pretty
good idea what to expect from me on the day-to-day. I'm not going to
spin pretty election promises, but I do have hopes and dreams for the
SIG. Let me share my to-do list with you. If elected, my ambitions are to:

. Turn this year's salary survey into a regular annual event, so that
we can begin collecting a meaningful amount of data on who we are and
what our business looks like.
. Find a way to encourage broader diversity in our SIG.
. Clean up the official IGDA.org site (and the wiki!)
. Come up with a strategy for regular posting on ARGology.org.
. Hold IRC chats and Topics of the Week more routinely than they are now.
. Make regular contributions to the IGDA newsletter to heighten our
profile.
. Find ways to strengthen our affiliation with the main IGDA (and
encourage our members to join up!)

Some of these problems have been hanging around for a while; some of
them are big jobs, and I won't be able to do them alone. So one other
goal I have is to encourage all of you to take ownership of the SIG. It
doesn't belong to any chairman -- it's your group! If you have a great
idea, let's make it happen. If you have a post you want on ARGology,
knock yourself out.

To steal Wendy's lines: We're an amazing group of talented, motivated
people. Let's make the SIG amazing, too.

Brooke Thompson:
Since its inception, the ARG SIG has suffered from a lack of focus and
mission. As Chair, I will make rectifying this my first concern. The
recent interest in "transmedia entertainment" has been centered around
film and television. While those working in film & television are great
storytellers and can create for those mediums, they lack experience and
understanding of the playful game-like elements often required in
transmedia projects and, more specifically, alternate reality games.
Likewise, game designers have much to learn about working in a
transmedia environment. I believe that the ARG SIG, with IGDA being its
parent organization and many of its members coming from film,
television, and marketing, is in a great position to facilitate the
sharing of knowledge between those of different backgrounds. The SIG can
also serve as promoter of the need and opportunities for experienced
game designers, developers, and writers in the field. Essentially, we
are a bridge between games and more passive media types. This is where
we will find our focus.

My other goals, as Chair, will be to see an increase in activity and
value of membership. Both of which will be easier to develop and
maintain once we have a solid focus. In order to support those goals, I
will encourage participation and provide opportunities for people to get
involved that may or may not require significant commitments of time and
responsibility. The recently proposed White Paper will become a
priority and that includes discussions on the same topics that will be
covered in the white paper. This will not only help the writers &
editors which should improve the quality of content in the White Paper,
but will help bring the list to life.

Finally, it will be a priority of mine to identify and support potential
leaders within the SIG. I have no desire of making this a long-term
thing. In fact, the only reason that I am throwing my hat into the ring
is that the appointment will end come December. I will only be able to
exit with a clean conscience by making sure that other goals have been
met and we have future leaders ready and wanting to step up. This means
that, for the first time in a long while, we will have a proactive
leadership in the ARG SIG. A change, I'll admit, we may not want.