[arg_discuss] [announce] A New Book: Toward a Ludic Architecture

Steffen P. Walz walz at arch.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 15 15:02:33 EDT 2010

Dear list members,

I would like to share with you that my new book, Toward a Ludic
Architecture: The Space of Play and Games, has just been published by
the ETC Press, an academic, open source, multimedia, publishing
imprint affiliated with the Entertainment Technology Center (ETC) at
Carnegie Mellon University. The ETC Press represents an experiment
and an evolution in publishing, bridging virtual and physical media to
redefine the future of publication.

In Toward a Ludic Architecture, I take a playful look at the
conceptual space of play and games, architecturally framing play and
games as human practices in and of space – whether we think of a board
game, an athletic competition in a stadium, a videogame, playful
social networking on the World Wide Web, an Alternate Reality Game, a
location-based mobile game, or any combination thereof: Ludic
activities are, have, and take place in or at, spaces.

My 366-page publication can help you analyze and conceptually design
play and games from an architectural standpoint - an approach that
becomes more important in an era where games extend into physical,
designed space that is increasingly permeated by devices, sensors, and
information networks, allowing for rules and fictions to superimpose
our everyday environments. Toward a Ludic Architecture may not only
be relevant to game designers. The book can come in handy, too, for
architects, conceptual & interaction designers, media artists,
marketing & branding agencies, directors, media producers as well as
dramaturges who wish to instill play stimuli or game mechanics into
their spatially oriented services, events or campaigns.

In Toward a Ludic Architecture, I am discussing the following questions:

How are play and games architected?
What kind of architecture do they produce and in what way does
(historical and existing) architecture program play and games?
What kind of architecture could be produced by playing and gameplaying?

Note that the pure text of the book can be read online for free, yet
sans layout, images and tables. The print version of Toward a Ludic
Architecture includes over 60 images and many how-to tables.

To read the book, and to purchase or download a layouted copy, please
visit:
http://www.etc.cmu.edu/etcpress/content/toward-ludic-architecture
(Table of Contents on right hand's side or scroll down)

ETC's press release:
http://www.etc.cmu.edu/global_news/?q=node/327

Fan Toward a Ludic Architecture on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toward-a-Ludic-Architecture/287527236432

For conceptual design consultancy, workshops, and talk opportunities,
please e-mail me:
spw at sreee.com

What others think of Toward a Ludic Architecture:
“This intriguing book offers a comprehensive investigation of both the
conceptual and spatial aspects of play – a crucially important part of
our urban life today. Indispensable reading for anyone interested in
the joyful qualities of cities and architecture.”
– Iain Borden
Professor of Architecture and Urban Culture & Head,
UCL Bartlett School of Architecture
“Steffen P. Walz has created a fascinating, multi-dimensional map for
exploring the relationship of games and spaces. His work lays out a
solid foundation for understanding how architectural concepts can
inform game design practice and vice-versa.”
– Frank Lantz
Creative Director and Co-Founder of area/code
& Director, New York University Game Center
“Architecture and game design have a great deal to offer each other,
as Steffen P. Walz argues in this long overdue and rigorous meditation
on the intersections between the two. In this highly original work,
the author merges and contrasts some of the best thinking from game
studies and architectural theory to explore both the space of play,
and the play of space. To build his argument, Walz engages a dialog
among disparate voices from psychology and sociology, philosophy,
design and architecture, games and play studies, invoking the canon in
each as well as introducing some new and relevant voices into the
discourse. “
– Celia Pearce
Director, Experimental Game Lab, School of Literature,
Communication & Culture, Georgia Institute of Technology
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me make this book become
a reality -
best regards & have a particularly nice and playful day:

Steffen P. Walz