[arg_discuss] What skills do you need for working in ARGs & transmedia

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Tue Aug 10 18:18:57 EDT 2010

It was interesting, actually, if only to see how government folk and
education leaders approach something like this. They're several steps
into the process and I wish I had been around earlier. They are
looking at industries and not at platforms. I can see why they're
doing that, but I think they would be better off looking at platforms.
Unfortunately, since I was one of the new kids on the block, I hadn't
built up any social capital and it was difficult for me to get support
for the idea of media convergence during the meeting. Afterwards,
while mingling, people were interested and wanted to talk about some
of my points. So we'll see what happens and where it goes. I'm
somewhat pleased because I don't think that we quite got to where they
wanted to get by the end of the meeting so before we get to the next
steps there may still be a chance to get them to think about platform
in addition to industry - which may be especially important because
there seemed to be an over-representation of film and, other than me,
there was a complete lack of game and I'm not so much "game
industry" (that seemed especially odd to me because gaming is growing
in influence here) and getting them to think about platform in
addition to industry may help remove some of that bias. (??)

Other than that, it was great. There was some genuine interest in the
idea of transmedia and I hope that this leads to several opportunities
to help students tell stories not just with a video camera or a
website but on multiple platforms. And, more, to help educators see
that there is value to encouraging kids to play with and develop their
ideas on a variety of platforms.

On Aug 10, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Thomas Maillioux wrote:

> This mix of technical skills (what to expect from technology and

> what it can

> do) and storytelling you guys came up with sounds pretty much true

> to what

> we actually see around these parts when meeting designers, writers,

> etc.

> Very tempted to steal that for the next time I'll have to explain

> all that

> to someone who has *zero* clue what it is we do !

> Don't forget to let us know how it went, Brooke !

> Tom.

> 2010/8/10 Michael Monello <mmonello at campfirenyc.com>

>> Totally agree!

>> Storytelling, storytelling, storytelling. Don't train a workforce,

>> graduate

>> strong creative and critical thinkers/problem solvers and

>> everything else

>> will come easy.

>> ---

>> Mike Monello

>> Partner, ECD Campfire

>> 62 White Street, 3E

>> New York, NY 10013

>> 212-612-9600

>> http://www.campfirenyc.com

>> On Aug 9, 2010, at 2:06 PM, libfli at aol.com wrote:

>>> first thing that comes to mind >

>>> better storytelling skills -

>>> w/solid knowledge of art history, lit, theatre and film

>>> (that should keep em busy) :)

>>> Subject: [arg_discuss] What skills do you need for working in ARGs &

>> transmedia

>>> Tomorrow, I am meeting with various people from the State of

>>> Georgia to

>> talk about transmedia and the skills and education required for it.

>> It's

>> part of some education grant program that helps to make sure that

>> GA has a

>> competitive work force.

>>> I am at a loss. Transmedia skills tend to be more "liberal arts"

>>> than

>>> http://www.giantmice.com