[arg_discuss] White Paper: Direction & Audience (was ARGs in Publishing)

Necole Duncan neekono at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 11:47:36 EDT 2010

I'm very excited about the new White Paper. The last one really helped to
introduce me to ARGs, and I've often used pieces of it to explain the genre
to people who are completely unfamiliar with it.

I suppose I fall into the target audience. I'm part of a grassroots start-up
interested in making games purely for entertainment, and we're working hard
to build what we have so far into a business.

One thing I'm particularly interested in that wasn't mentioned is story
genre in ARGs. Is this covered in one of the sections? I know there is
generally some sort of mystery for players to solve, but we make comedic
games, and I'm interested in the ways in which comedy, tragedy, romance,
etc. are used in games, and the ways in which ARG storytelling differs from
traditional storytelling.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Brooke Thompson <brooke at giantmice.com>wrote:

> [...]

> As for history... each section so far includes a short history. I do hope

> that it will be fairly brief, but it is useful for highlighting examples and

> showing trends & trajectories.

> There is also a history specific section, The Rise of Transmedia. Geoffrey

> & I tossed around ideas for it but have not gone beyond that. I believe we

> decided on doing a quick rise from the earliest days of storytelling and

> focusing more on the last 30 years or so. Ultimately, I expect this section

> will be the shortest in the paper for a few reasons - 1) we're both quite

> busy and 2) this topic best when it's brief or incredibly rich and detailed

> and well beyond the scope of a white paper. I suppose my personal goals for

> this section are to show that transmedia is not new (in fact, it tends to

> happen whenever a new technology appears as people want to experiment) but

> that we're at an amazing point in storytelling history not only because

> there are a lot of new technologies to explore for telling stories, but

> computers make it easier for everyone to be a storyteller (beyond verbal

> storytelling) and the internet not only enables us to find and build an

> audience unlike any time previously but it allows us to connect story pieces

> in new and exciting ways. So, I suppose, I hope this section is a sort of

> large introduction that inspires people to create - while remaining

> informative instead of turning into an opinion piece.

> On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Evan Jones wrote:

> Sure thing Michael - it sounds like you're on the right path and keeping

>> it

>> narrow to publishing will aid the project. Just offering some suggestions

>> for historical touchpoints.

>> I'd agree that it's most appropriate that this whitepaper serve as a

>> practical guide. With that in mind (and just to stir the pot a little),

>> is

>> history the most helpful starting point? I'd certainly argue that many

>> disciplines must begin with history (why did I learn chemistry with early

>> models of the atom?) - but it seems now that all of the popular books are

>> focused more on 'best practices' (ostensibly from some guru). Is anyone

>> on

>> the list able to offer themselves up as the intended audience? It'd be

>> great to ask around to see what they are seeking as a reference tool.

>> Also - please consider all of this empty rhetoric since I feel I've

>> disqualified myself by not dedicating the time to write a section as well.

>> ------------------

>> Evan Jones

>> Stitch Media

>> Halifax: 902.482.2157

>> Toronto: 647.477.1613

>> www.stitchmedia.ca

>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Michael Andersen <mandersen at argn.com

>> >wrote:

>> Evan: I've seen how contentious ARG Histories can be, and planned on

>>> using

>>> the bulk of my space to concentrate on the latter sections that focus

>>> more

>>> on implementation. Rather than presenting a definitive or comprehensive

>>> history, I was planning on presenting a brief paragraph or two

>>> recognizing

>>> that while there is some intensely innovative work going on in the space

>>> over the past few years, it didn't start with the publication of *Cathy's

>>> Book*.

>>> My intended focus is on methods of implementation and the potential

>>> benefits, as I assume the purpose of the white paper is less academic and

>>> more practical, with people seeking out information on what ARGs are, if

>>> they work, and how to do them. If I'm wrong in that assumption, I can

>>> adjust

>>> my writing and research accordingly. Have any of you on the listserv made

>>> use of the 2006 white paper? And if so, how? (Yes, I realize that may

>>> open

>>> wrote:

>>> Hi Michael,

>>> affect