[arg_discuss] White Paper - 2010 edition

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Apr 8 18:32:17 EDT 2010

With all the interest & excitement that's been happening around
"transmedia" lately, it's seems like a good time for us to share some
of our expertise from an ARG perspective. We haven't attempted a white
paper since the last one way back in 2006... a lifetime and a half
ago! So much has happened since then.

I will readily admit that I am feeling energized by the recent
announcement that the Producer's Guild of America has set up a
Transmedia credit - It's very cool, but there's been a lot of chatter
around about what that means for transmedia campaigns such as ARGs.
The way in which it's been defined seems to emphasize franchises. I
would like this paper to help assert our influence on the future
direction of the term "transmedia." It is only a matter of time,
fingers crossed, that the other guilds explore transmedia and I think
that it is in all of our benefit to show how Alternate Reality Games
and similar campaigns are an important part of the equation.

So, consider this post me gauging interest. I have a very rough
outline floating around in my head, but I would love to know what you
all think the white paper should include. After I get some feedback,
I'll see if I can make it all fit into a cohesive outline and send out
the Call for Authors & timeline.

Brooke Thompson
Transmedia Storyteller ARGFest Chair
www.giantmice.com www.argfest.com