[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Aug. 31: Umbrella Term + ARG/larp

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Thu Sep 3 10:23:24 EDT 2009

This is an important discussion, so let me dive in with you guys.

>From a definition standpoint, my concern is when some of the labels stretch

a familiar concept into unrecognizable territory. I find "pervasive gaming"
challenging because of the edge cases that require the broadest possible
definition of "game". Similarly, "transmedia" gives me concerns because how
the ends up trying to define ringing telephones and live events as "media".
Even "interactive storytelling" can suffer from over-generalization of
everything into "story". That doesn't mean that I don't find these terms
valuable in discussions with other practitioners (they certainly identify
buckets), but are they the desired umbrella term?

Or stated another way: as long as you could imagine someone having to
describe their work as "interactive transmedia storytelling" or "pervasive
transmedia gaming" or some other combination of the labels, then we haven't
hit the umbrella yet. If you could imagine someone saying "that's more
transmedia than it is interactive storytelling," then we haven't hit the
umbrella yet.

Or maybe ARG is a platypus.