[arg_discuss] What if ARGs had a real festival?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Wed Sep 2 18:47:03 EDT 2009

I was thinking something like a Fringe or film festival. People submit a description of their ARGs/experiences to the festival and the festival selects the best of them to be presented at the festival. There would be a catalog/website of experiences and you could choose to either buy an individual ticket for a specific experience/ARG or you could buy a festival pass that allows you to do whatever you want. As for when the ARG or experience begins and ends, that would be up to the creators. For example, I might pitch an ARG that starts the minute you buy a ticket, sending you to websites, calling you up, and then culminating at a live experience at the festival. Or maybe the live experience at the festival is the start of something that continues for a few weeks after. Or maybe it's like the 10 minute ARG that Steve Peters presented at ARGFest, the ARG equivalent of a short film or one-act play!

This would fill a lot of holes in the ARG Community:

1. Provide a stage for indie creators to present work to the public in an environment that encourages people to participate in their games.
2. Foster an environment of experimentation and discovery within both the ARG creator and player communities.
3. Provide an opportunity for the public to explore ARGs in a friendly and approachable environment.
4. Great PR opportunities for ARGs in general, vs the kind of PR that is usually driven by big marketing games.
5. Opportunities for creative collaboration on many levels.

Alongside of this you would have panels, parties and other events, much like film festivals do. It's something that would appeal to a more general audience, and I could see how an event like this could be a catalyst for incredible opportunities to spring forth, as they do at film and Fringe festivals around the world.

-Mike