[arg_discuss] ARG SIG Draft Constitution

Andrea Phillips deusexmachinatio at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:32:39 EDT 2009

Brian makes some excellent points, many of which arise from the ways
the Writers SIG is different to ours. Which is, you know, OK. :)

I can think of a couple of other models that might work better for us,
though I'm not updating the draft in wiki without a little more
discussion. First, I'd suggest skipping the whole Committee business
-- I figure the whole SIG is our Committee, really -- and just elect
an executive group of, say, three people. We can either have a
secondary election among the SIG as a whole choosing one of those
three as chairman, or we can skip the whole chairman thing and just
allow executive decisions on a majority basis. (The reason to have an
executive at all has to do with IGDA-level administrative stuff;
holding email moderation rights, participating in the SIG-Admin group,
pulling GDC stuff together, etc.)

I am all for forming sub-committees for specific purposes, like, say,
running ARGology or scheduling IRC chats or coming up with Topic of
the Week topics, but we've had a lot of trouble in the past getting
solid commitments for this kind of thing. Do we thing formalizing
positions like that would encourage participation?