[arg_discuss] ARG_Discuss Digest, Vol 44, Issue 2

Markus Montola Markus.Montola at uta.fi
Wed Mar 4 12:54:32 EST 2009

Hi,

we are giving a talk on pervasive games -- games that break the
boundaries of games; about games that are played on the streets, that
call players in their homes and make them play at surprising times,
and that involve and invites outsiders to participate.

While it's not on ARGs per se, it's probably of interest to ARGists:
Our thing covers all the ground between ARGs and location-based games.
We've been hugely inspired by games like The Beast, I Love Bees et
cetera. And also by high-end treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, internet
puzzles, assassination games et cetera.

Best,

- Markus Montola

(308) Beyond the Screen: The Principles of Pervasive Game Design
Speaker: Markus Montola (Researcher, Nokia Corporation), Jaakko
Stenros (Researcher, University of Tampere), Annika Waern (Game Studio
Director, Interactive Institute)
Date/Time: Tuesday (March 24, 2009) 11:45am ? 12:30pm
Location (room): Room 134, North Hall
Experience Level: All
Track: Mobile: Original Innovation
Format: 45-minute Lecture

Session Description
Pervasive games are played in the 'real world'. They exploit mobile
phone as a social device that follows the player everywhere and is
always on. While all good mobile games enrich everyday life with
playful pleasures, pervasive games also spice up the gameplay with
real world elements: Pervasive games are played out on the streets,
they can involve outsiders and invite you to play at surprising times.
Drawing on case examples from successful commercial titles as well as
far-out experiments, this presentation looks outside the box and
reveals the wide possibilities of pervasive gaming.