[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Fri Jun 19 17:02:56 EDT 2009

On 6/19/09 4:09 PM, "Brooke Thompson" <brooke at giantmice.com> wrote:

Ads do come at a cost to the user. Oh, sure, we might justify it by
saying that a story told in an ad is a heck of a lot better than
something shouting "Congratulations! You have won an iPod!", but it is
still not what drives users to Gawker or IO9 or wherever

Except that it's the ads that make the existence of Gawker and I09 et al possible in the first place. If users really didn't find a value in advertising within those spaces then they would be willing to pay for that content. So far, audiences have consistently shown their unwillingness to pay for it, preferring to have it subsidized by advertising.

Mike

---
Mike Monello
Partner, Campfire