[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Jun 18 17:56:58 EDT 2009

So, do you not think that there is a difference between people
adapting an online persona (fictional or otherwise) and creating a
fictional persona and placing them into a community in order to later
be a part of a larger fictional project (ie PixelVixen707 & the game
bloggers for PE:DA or Martin Aggett & the ARG community for a not yet
launched project).

To me, there is a difference and that is based in the intent behind
it. In the case of the aforementioned MUD player, Karyn, it never
extended beyond her single story and, for all we know, the death was a
way of giving up the game. In the case of Martin Aggett, the intent
was to infiltrate the community for a larger purpose and a larger
story and game. And, as people consider Karyn to be a "hoax", if these
things are similar or, even, the same - does that mean that when
designers spend time creating and nurturing an online history complete
with relationships before the experience launches in full are
perpetuating a hoax?

And, while breaking the UF TOS is bad! and wrong! and full of fail! it
is not all that unusual. Though, this is the first time (at least in
my memory and to my knowledge) that it was done by a character months
before the project would be live in order to infiltrate the community.
It is usually done by as a way for someone to help players struggling
through a puzzle or plot element. Players can usually quickly figure
out who those folks are, alert a mod/admin who can match IPs and do
other research, and it's dealt with quickly and easily (with the
occasional cry of "it was my brother! I left my computer on the page
and he thought it would be funny! i'll beat him up so it never happens
again! I promise! just don't ban me!"). In this case, it went beyond
that and was an effort to become involved in the community. I am not
surprised (or upset) that it happened. But I do think that this is a
different case - again, because of the intent behind it.