[arg_discuss] Deception and what it means to be Real

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Jun 18 16:04:56 EDT 2009

For those not as glued to unfiction and ARGN as I am, there's been an
"interesting development": Martin Aggett is a fictional character who
planted himself heavily into the ARG community - so heavily that the
guy behind it began to have second thoughts and when he decided he
wanted to attend ARGFest he figured that would be the point of no
return.

However, before he came out, he had:
* participated in discussions and played games on unfiction
* helped with ARGdb
* gone behind the scenes with a grassroots team developing a game
* become friends with a number of people, beyond superficial game
playing relationships
* written an article for ARGN

His account on unfiction was suspended and the last words on it were
the author's apology: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27985

ARGN has weighed in as well: http://www.argn.com/2009/06/getting_played/

Some fascinating stuff there that leads to a whole host of interesting
questions. Things like: Is this just the nature of Alternate Reality
Gaming - should we expect these things to happen? Is it ok for people
to feel deceived (and can that be done in a positive way)? How do we
make characters real? What are peoples reactions and what makes them
different (level of interaction? type of interaction? etc)? If trust
is shattered, can it be restored and what does that take? Can people
be playing when they don't know that they are - is there a way to do
this and bring people into a game? What are ways that puppetmasters
can back up from a decision like this once it's been executed? What
steps can individuals or communities take to avoid or recover from
something like this? What actions can a game take to help the recovery
(should it?)? (i've got dozens of these... I love this! Does that make
me sick? demented? just plain evil?)

(d'oh! I seem to have failed to send a couple messages in a way that
actually sent. If it winds up that these go through twice - double
d'oh.)