[arg_discuss] ARG SIG News Bulletin! Now With News!

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:56:36 EDT 2009

Please join me in welcoming Brooke Thompson, Wendy Despain and John
Evans as part of the ARG SIG email list management team! What this
means is: I've given these wonderful people the passwords for the
list, so they can help out with tasks like unsubscribing spammers or
telling you your email got stuck in a moderation queue; and in the
case that I get hit by a bus, the keys to the kingdom are not lost
forever, so to speak. Huzzah! I only said I'd do it a month ago!

I did get a lot more volunteers for this job than it really called
for, and I appreciate the generous spirit in which those offers were
made. But never fear, you can still have your chance to help out with
the SIG. There are still a number of tasks that need doing, and I'd
like to propose we form three committees to handle them:

* Care and feeding of ARGology, especially in terms of putting up new
content. From time to time I think about putting something up, but
don't want to step on anyone's toes! --And I bet other people feel
that way, too. Clearly this needs sorting out.

* Topics of the Week. Basically we need a mechanism for coming up with
these and then sending them out. I think it's a fun idea, though, and
we should definitely try to keep it up.

* IRC chats. I've totally slacked off on keeping these running. We've
had mixed success with our chats, partly because of a confusing time
schedule. This was intended to make the IRC chats accessible to people
in various time zones -- particularly in Australia (hi, Christy!) --
but the chats in off hours never really got any attendance. We need to
work out a new schedule for these, and hopefully find a mechanism for
sending out reminders.

Post if you'd like to take part in any of these committees, and I'll
look at interest and try to work out what the best method is for these
committees to operate. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.deusexmachinatio.com