[arg_discuss] ARGFest-O-Con 2009!

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Thu Jun 4 13:58:14 EDT 2009

For those not familiar with the "Grand Inquisitor" role that ARGFest started
last year, it exists primarily to start out the questions for each panel
with something remarkably ... well ... probing and cringe-worthy. Elan Lee,
on kicking it off, pulled some remarkable stunts involving felt mustaches
and beards and some wonderfully stabbing inquisitions.

But I don't think he really captured the essence of "terror" that a Grand
Inquisitor should provoke, especially against any of the creeping heresies
that threaten the timeless unchanging purity of ARG. This seems like my real
potential to expand the role that he carved for Grand Inquisitors: dispense
fitting punishments for heresy, then we'll have some nice questions from the
audience:

"A 1578 handbook for inquisitors spelled out the purpose of
inquisitorial penalties: ... quoniam punitio non refertur
primo & per se in correctionem & bonum eius qui punitur, sed
in bonum publicum ut alij terreantur, & a malis committendis
avocentur. [Translation from the Latin: '... for punishment
does not take place primarily and per se for the correction
and good of the person punished, but for the public good in
order that others may become terrified and weaned away from
the evils they would commit.']

Yes ... terrify the public and wean them away from the evils each panel
would commit ... through the dispensation of punishment. Such a solemn duty,
but at least the Portland weather should be nice.

:)

Brian