[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 27: Education

Ralph Loizzo ralphloizzo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:09:15 EDT 2009

My problem as a writer trying to participate in the creation side of ARGs
stems from the same problem that people have when deciding whether or not to
play a specific ARG.

I wrote a blog article recently regarding the problem of trust with an ARG.
People can ask for recommendations on books to read or movies to see, but
with an ARG, that's difficult to do.

Once an ARG is played, it's done. And it can't be re-experienced.

So in that case, when someone like myself wants to join in a group designing
an ARG, it's difficult to choose with whom to work.

Companies producing big marketing ARGs aren't going to turn to someone like
me for help with their design, so I end up joining grass roots campaigns,
and hopefully those people end up producing some work, not just discussing
back and forth a cool idea.

So hopefully, after a few years of trials over the next few years, I'll have
some credits under my belt so I can draw on talented people to assist in my
creations.

But it's tough! It's tough to maintain a healthy spirit and drive when
you're a newbie to any area of others' expertise. It's exciting to be part
of ARG creation as it's a relatively new genre, so formal training hasn't
truly been "accepted" by the union of ARG developers. But it's also
difficult since there's no guidelines to follow except ARGs from that can't
be experienced again.

So I've relied alot on forums where people discuss previous ARGs, and books
by David Szulborski.