[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 27: Education

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Mon Jul 27 15:42:59 EDT 2009

For better or worse, those already exist.

The thing is, I got a heck of a lot more out of my very much unfocused
(or so I thought at the time) undergraduate wanderings than I did my
actual focused work in grad school - which is kinda why I left school
and went back to the actual making of things. It was insanely stupid
to be paying thousands of dollars to not get actual experience when
what is the most helpful in this field is actual experience. (though I
can now use big words and sound smart if I want to - which is a fun
skill to have)

I mean we can throw down the seminal (and not so seminal) texts in
game design, film, theater, production, computer science, sociology,
art, history, etc etc. But that's a reading list. And it's theory -
not an education or training.

(though that's just my rather unacademic opinion)