[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 20: Designer Responsibilitiesto the Public

Naomi Alderman naomi.alderman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:07:54 EDT 2009

I'm reminded of this stunt, to highlight the ongoing plight of the victims
of the Bhopal disaster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yes_Men#Dow_Chemical

It's up to you whether or not you find The Yes Men's line convincing that
what they did was nothing compared to what Dow Chemical did. However... I
think it points up that the *purpose* of the ARG is probably relevant to the
question. People might feel a lot better being duped that, eg, a company
exists which is trialling an interesting cancer drug if the ARG is raising
money for Cancer Research than they'd feel if that same ARG were advertising
a new brand of chocolate bar ;-).

- Naomi