[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week July 13: Why are you here?

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Thu Jul 16 17:01:40 EDT 2009

Beverly Hills 90210 and Usenet? That was a ramble there, Old Man Monello.
Happy 10th anniversary of Blair Witch to you though, Mike.

I've known Mike for so long our stories are deeply connected: let me expand
on one of his points, and then dive off in a different direction (the "what
were you trying to accomplish" front.)

Mike wrote: "At some point, someone pointed at a project I was doing (with
Brian Clark) and said it was an ARG, and that's when I started following the
ARG scene."

The only reason the ARG community paid attention to us then, Mike, was
because there were damn puzzles in the Urns one. That was one of the few
textures we'd never bothered to play explicitly with before ... and that
time, it was something that had already been decided by the agency! The
first phone calls as Mike and I tried to unravel that we were apparently
"puppetmasters" were pretty fun ones. We kept going, "okay, I get it, that's
what we would call blah". So if you want to take a strict view of it, "Art
of the Heist" was the first ARG we did ... the first time we went, "okay,
let's synthesize the way we normally do this to embrace the ARG expectation"
which I think did a better job of putting the puzzles into a real narrative
context.

So back in those dark ages that Old Man Monello was talking about, one of
the other GMD Studios principals and I were (among other things) game
developers of the Diku II MUD platform ... essentially, the text games that
lead to MMRPGs. So I think my expectations as a producer were always about
"shared moments in time". The Web is more like performance to me than it is
like media ... it exists in order to be inhabited by people.

So it only made sense to use the web as a "place that people did something
together" as the whole point of what the Internet was. Some of that was
fiction (and looks like proto-ARG), some of that was non-fiction (and looked
like real-time documentary) and some of it crossed into B2B (and looked like
web publications serving strange niches).

See many of you tomorrow.