[arg_discuss] Res: Res: What is an ARG? minimal, skeptic, nihilistic version

André Sirangelo asirangelo at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jul 7 09:01:42 EDT 2009

Hi Thomas,

Here in Brazil we've had a reasonable number of games in 2006-07, with solid results and a dedicated player base. It's hard to point a reason but I believe the absence of games in the past 2 years has to do with the skepticism of clients and ad agencies towards the efficiency of a campaign based on viral websites/puzzles/storytelling versus a more conventional campaign using traditional media.

Broadband and social networks numbers in Brazil are pretty impressive, but we've been under a kind of corporate media monopoly for several decades now, and people are just not running away from traditional media as fast as in other countries. So you can't discuss that it's just more effective to clients to advertise on the #1 TV network during a telenovela or to sponsor Big Brother and the football games.

Also there's what could be called the "Fake Houdini effect" (Houdini had all these cheap imitators and they were SO bad that when the REAL Houdini came to a town where they have been, audiences would flee and avoid him thinking it was another fake). We had our share of ARGs or wannabe ARGs run by clueless ad agencies, some of them backfired in horrible ways, others were simply terrible from beginning to end. Some corporate clients and agencies have become traumatized by these experiments and are afraid to invest again... So, yeah. :)

best,
André