[arg_discuss] Antecedents to ARGs

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Fri Jan 16 09:02:41 EST 2009

But Bryan, I think that paper suffers from the same problems we're
discussing here: it is a fairly arbitrary selection of items, missing out on
many of what I see as the deeper influences. Because no one can seem to
build a shared definition of what ARGs are, it is easy to point to ANYTHING
as an antecedent ... and all you're really doing is revealing some wrinkle
of your definition of what you think an ARG is.

For example, I think the TINAG principle is really quite irrelevant
(although I think there are interesting specific historical stories about
why that phrase was created as an alternate to established phrases like
"suspension of disbelief," as well as business cover that phrase provided
certain practitioners.) Conversely, I think ARG derives quite a bit from
practices like Nathan Shedroff's experience design and Augsto Boal's theater
of the oppressed.

But that's my perspective. What we lack as a community is a common
perspective or a route to get to it, so the general public cemented their
own definition instead.