[arg_discuss] an ARG for GDC09?

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Thu Jan 15 18:19:22 EST 2009

Hello folks,

I'm coming to you now as the Chair of the IGDA Writing SIG.

Last year our SIG worked with Jason Della Rocca to create a social
game for the big IGDA party at GDC08.

The idea was to create a fun social game that got people talking to
each other, breaking the ice so to speak, but also showed off what a
trained writer could bring to a game design. (One of the objectives of
our SIG.)

Our game last year wasn't perfect, but it was good enough to get us a
"yes" when we asked Jason if we could do it again for the GDC09 party.
We're excited about that, but Jason threw us a bit of a curve ball for
this year.

He's asked if we could incorporate some ARG-like elements into the
game. Being an ARG-lover myself, I jumped at the chance. But I also
thought maybe some people from this SIG would be interested in getting
involved with at least that aspect of the party game.

We're getting serious about figuring out exactly what the game will
be, and I thought I'd invite the ARG SIG to participate. No pressure,
just wondering if you want to be involved. We've got a very very small
budget, so mostly this is for the fun of it.

So... what do you think? Want to be involved? On a personal basis? On
a SIG-wide basis? Let me know offlist or on. :-)

Wendy Despain
Writing SIG Chair