[arg_discuss] Commercial ARGs with learning outcomes

Bryan Alexander Bryan.Alexander at nitle.org
Wed Jan 14 12:58:42 EST 2009

Coming in late to the conversation:
I share Wendy's delight for the learning-play combination.
I also agree with Adam's point about transferrable learning
between games. There's some scholarship on this (James Paul Gee; Harry
Brown; Consance Steinkuhler; the Selfe and Hawisher anthology). One of
the hard parts, though, is helping students see such transfers as
possible. Academic boundaries block this in many ways, and not just on
gaming's learning. So does academia's disdain for gaming.