[arg_discuss] Commercial ARGs with learning outcomes

Steve Vosloo steve.vosloo at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Mon Jan 12 14:03:27 EST 2009

The Foundation for which I work tries to innovate within the space of
education (formal and informal) (amongst other spaces). I've suggested
ARGs as an innovative way for youth to develop certain skills whilst
they employ social media -- sometimes in a pop culture-based story context.

The way that we work is that usually we pilot demonstration projects and
then present the results to bigger stakeholders who can scale these
projects, e.g. the Department of Education in South Africa.

After having read Jane McGonical's /Why I Love Bees: A Case Study in
Collective Intelligence Gaming/ and other pieces on the learning
outcomes of ARG play, I'm asking this: if commercial companies use ARGs
for marketing purposes, and players learn from them, then are these
companies some of the stakeholders that the Shuttleworth Foundation
should try to influence? Did I Love Bees turn Microsoft's gaming unit
into creators of educational experiences? Did /The Lost Ring/ mean that
McDonalds is not only in the fast food business, but in the business of
education too?

All thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Vosloo
Fellow, Communication and Analytical Skills Development

Tel: +27 21 970 1240 | Fax: +27 21 970 1241
Web: www.shuttleworthfoundation.org
Blog: www.innovatingeducation.wordpress.com

Email disclaimer: wiki.tsf.org.za/EmailDisclaimer