[arg_discuss] ARGs in Charity and Education - slides now online

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Sat Jan 3 00:32:25 EST 2009

Thanks for posting this, Dan. I thought it was great.

Funnily enough, when I was working on ARG-like things with sci-fi TV
shows like ten years ago I always called the ARG-like websites
"Fiction Websites" although I had to be careful about calling them
that to the hollywood people because they thought I was saying
"Fictional Websites" implying that they were paying me for websites
that didn't exist.

Alternate Reality was also a problem phrase though, because they
thought it implied that the plot playing out on the internet
conflicted/didn't relate to the plot going on with the TV show.

After several years of doing this, we finally got a common language as
they could say, "Let's Blair Witch this thing." And I could say, "You
know how with Blair Witch they did XYZ?"

Anyway, my point is - thank goodness this art form hasn't withered on
the vine. As we build up a body of work we can get better and better.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com