[arg_discuss] TOW: Have you ever consulted a lawyer before you didsomething ARG-related?

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:00:05 EST 2009

For Perplex City, we played it a *lot* more cavalier than most teams,
I think. e.g. I remember several people having kittens (me included, I
think) over Adrian's initial plan to buzz a mob of unsuspecting
players ... with a helicopter. In central London. And then my mild
panic - we were in the copter, flying to the event - when I realised
no-one had told the pilot anything, and he was about to get mobbed by
20+ players.

Of course, it all worked out beautifully in the end, and made for an
awesome and truly memorable event ("WTF?!! Mind Candy just kidnapped
one of the players? In a helicopter?!?").

But it was hard to tell - the Microsoft team claimed to have had
little or no awareness from the legal team when doing The Beast (at
least, that interpretation was picked up and much-quoted throughout
the community for a long time). I was never sure if everyone else was
actually *doing* that though, or whether it was just us :).

So, I think it's pretty interesting to get a sampling of the range of
approaches that different teams have taken, for good or ill. Wasn't my
idea for a question, though - you'd have to ask Andrea about that :).