[arg_discuss] Topic of the Week Aug. 31: Umbrella Term

Julien Aubert julien at extralab.fr
Mon Aug 31 11:53:39 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Last Saturday was hold the first transmedia bar camp in Paris. This was
organized by leading european telco company Orange which have huge interest
in finding a way to make synergies between its own divisions.
Professional from television, cinema, virtual world, newspapers and radio
were discussing about a whole of intersting topics (storytellling,
production, user behaviours tools and so on).
Except Michel Reilhac from TV channel Arte (french and german) and Jean-Yves
Lemoigne from Orange Labs, nobody knew much about ARGs. I hope I gave them a
good input about past productions and new trends. Especially, they were very
interested by TV series and extended experiences as LOST. We did'nt really
have time to talk about indie productions and ARGs as a new gaming genre.
In a very natural way, they all considered ARGs as transmedia experiences
with a strong gaming (and maybe role playing) approach. As a consequence,
many of them came with the conclusion that put some gaming in transmedia
productions is a good way to create interactions between media.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced transmedia is a solid umbrella.

My two cents

---------
julien aubert
+33618931813