[arg_discuss] New Topic of the Week Aug. 7: ARG SIG Conference

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Fri Aug 7 16:44:09 EDT 2009

Another thing is what "playing" means in various crowds. At a place
like ARGFest, which is filled with enthusiasts, "playing" means being
very actively involved. Yet, if you put those same people into a
different environment, they may very well claim to have played any
number of games.

For example, if you had asked me what games I played, I'd laugh, "...
play games?! I don't play games! Well, I played Last Call Poker, but
that's it." Yet, I have maintained player resources for several games
(including a fairly comprehensive guide for Push, NV) and that act
alone implies that I was fairly deeply involved in playing those games.

Or, more recently, Must Love Robots - among the enthusiast crowd, I
don't claim to have played it. I wasn't posting on the forums and
participating in building the narrative. There is nothing there to
suggest to those that were actively playing that I was involved at
all. I was a lurker. And, claiming to be a player in a crowd where
there are distinctions made between lurkers and players would be an
exaggeration of my involvement. But among my friends who are outside
of the enthusiast crowd and don't make such distinctions... "Heck yeah
I played Must Love Robots! It was easy and great fun and brilliant! I
followed along on twitter and watched a bunch of the videos. You
totally missed out!"

So, yeah, those people you talked to... I bet if you asked them on the
street, you'd get a very different answer.