[arg_discuss] New Topic of the Week Aug. 7: ARG SIG Conference

Naomi Alderman naomi.alderman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:47:39 EDT 2009

Just to throw my opinion in: I'd welcome an IGDA conference for ARGs of some
description, whether that's an extra day on ARGfest or whatever. For me,
there'd be value in getting to meet some other creators, hear about what
they're making, chew over some issues. (Having said that, I probably
wouldn't be able to make it out to one early next year because I have a book
coming out. But I'd love to come to a future conference.)

I've never been to ARGfest, and this thread got me asking myself why. I
think, for me, ARGfest has always seemed a bit intimidating! It's seemed to
me like an event created by people who are already friends, or at least are
acquainted online. Even as a Perplex City creator I didn't feel it was
really 'for me'. That might be a misperception on my part, but I think
industry events can seem paradoxically more 'welcoming' (because there's no
expectation that you'll already be friendly with the people there; you just
sign up, pay your money, and go) than more informal gatherings.

- Naomi