[arg_discuss] ARG SIG Conference

Brooke Thompson brooke at giantmice.com
Thu Aug 6 19:54:51 EDT 2009

I'm sure y'all are expecting this seeing as I'm not all that quiet and
have somehow found myself on the organizational committees of ARGFest
and the ARG SIG conference (hows does this happen?! i just wanted to
help moderate a couple threads, that is all)

I, too, wonder how the conferences would effect each other - would one
pull from the other? would they enhance each other? is there room for
two? is there something to be gained or lost by the influence of the
player enthusiast types? etc etc. So this discussion is really great.
But...

I've got to get a bit defensive over the bit about ARGFest being
labelled as closed and exclusive.

Unfiction started one night in a chat channel when two friends said
"hey! we should meet for beers!" and a couple more said "oh hey! what
about me!" - and a couple weeks later, 15 people showed up in Vegas. A
couple months later, we met up again in Orlando and like 10 more
people showed up - whoa. Two years later, we thought it'd be cool to
see if we could meet the guys who did AotH & PerplexCity but "hey,
they probably won't know about this, so let's invite them and give
them a reason to come". The conference was born. (ok, it wasn't
exactly like that, but pretty darn close... it was born out of a
desire to be anything but exclusive, it was about being inclusive and
meeting new people!)

It is still run by the community leaders at unfiction (the organizing
team this year was the admins and a few portland locals) and, yes, our
first thoughts always go to the community that we are a part of - but
we do look beyond that and try to be quite welcoming. Not only because
we're friendly folk, but because we want to get to know others and we
want them to get to know us. We don't want to be this exclusive little
club; we want to meet and get to know the Brian Clarks and Mike
Monellos and Yomi Ayenis and Jeromy Barbers and Non Chalances of the
world. It doesn't matter if they're on unfiction or, even, if they've
ever heard of it. We think it's kinda cool that some have gone on to
become fairly active on the UF forums, but the ARG Community is so
much more than that and relationships made at ARGFest have continued
to bloom on twitter and facebook and some have even grown into
collaborations. Which is really kinda cool when you think that a lot
of these people didn't know each other before ARGFest and many people
were fairly unaware of and/or unknown by unfiction just a couple
months before ARGFest.

There may be a lot of traditions and cultural mores and whatnot, but I
think that's just as true of any conference of this size no matter if
it comes out of a online message board or a professional organization.
And, you might be surprised by just how un-unfiction the conference
really is. We haven't gotten the survey out there yet (small and
exhausted volunteer team... it's coming) but my guess is that it was
about 60/40 on the attendees who would self-identify as being a part
of the UF community.

I think it's just at a funny size with a strange mix of players and
designers, hobbyists and professionals - which makes it quite hard to
describe and/or provide focus for. But it also makes for a great and
unique event filled with all sorts of new (and old) perspectives.

Defensive bit over... I'm absolutely loving this feedback (even if I
disagree with the premise). It is awesome! I would very much like to
see a lot more of it :)