[arg_discuss] You're so Emo!

Hugh Davies marcus.helm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:40:04 EDT 2009

I for one am interested.

But for my own, I tend to be resigned to use ARG as an umbrella term.
Agreed, its far from ideal but im happy to let future generations look back
and consider what and indeed if a better definition is needed. After all:

Do video games all really use video?
How many players do you actually need to constitute an MMORPG?
Does answering these questions actually improve the game experiences, or
discussion or analysis of them?

Taking up Mikes previous comment:*

there are two issues mashed up here. One about what to call the thing that
we are making/enjoying/ that is an umbrella term and can accommodate many
different shapes/styles/genres underneath it, and the other is actually
defining what an Alternate Reality Game is. *

Well said. I see this as the same issues approached in different ways. Using
your book example Mike, we could we say:

1: What is a book?

2: How do we define a collection of written, printed, illustrated, or blank
sheets of paper, parchment, or other material, fastened together to hinge at
one side?

In this example, both questions answer eachother.

Ergo, are we just Emoing ourselves away the by haggling over what
constitutes an ARG?

After all, according to http://www.etymonline.com/ the history of the word
book is:
"beech" (cf. Ger. Buch "book" Buche "beech;" the notion being of beechwood
tablets on which runes were inscribed), but may be from the tree itself
(people still carve initials in them).Perhaps we just need to agree on a
very broad definition of an ARG so that we can exclude things such as The
Bible, Women by Charles Bukowski, and Watchmen - although im also prepared
to argue that the Bible and Watchmen could be considered part of the ARG
field. Im not familiar with Women by Charles Bukowski.

hugh