[arg_discuss] the umbrella (was RE: arg list)

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Fri Apr 3 15:05:17 EDT 2009

I get that, Brooke ... here's my fear: when you ask people to rate on
particular scales, the scales end up being the construct. I think what I'm
suggesting starts more subjective: your gut knows (for you) what projects
kind of go together. Having a body of info on those is great and certainly
facilitates. But the question "what do you call this clump versus that
clump" comes after the intuitive arrangement, rather than being the
construct of the scales.

Close to mind mapping yes, Wendy, but I guess it is the proximity to each
other I'm suggesting might be insightful, rather than just "are connected
by". Hi! Here's this rough skeleton of projects and a list of ten others ...
where would you put them on this visual chart so that projects that are more
like each other are closer together than they are with ones that are more
different?

I could imagine at the database end, that might look like "mean distance"
and standard deviation for each project to each project. My gut thinks if we
did that with enough people and transposed the results into one big chart,
we'd find that MOST people's graphs were fairly similar, and that the places
where there was the most diversity might look like important conceptual
differences.

Can I get a pony too, while we're at it?