[arg_discuss] ARGdb (was Re: arg list)

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Fri Apr 3 12:48:36 EDT 2009

On ARGdb... the site itself is very near completion - at least for
visitors, for users & admins it's a bit rough. That said, it's a
potentially great resource that I'd very much like to see utilized.
Ben & I put some good love and care into it and, I think, with just a
bit of an organized effort (a small team of folks to gather current
data and fix up some of the code & design) we could have something
that would be much easier to maintain for the long term.

But feel free to check out the site - poke around and see what works
and what doesn't. I'd love the feedback and, more than that, I'd love
it if some of you would like to get involved in helping to get the
site together.

site - www.argdb.com
example game page - http://argdb.com/game/19/

Brooke

On Apr 3, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Steve Peters wrote:

> It seems to me we're trying to reinvent the wheel here, to a certain

> extent.

> While the main interface to ARGDB was never really finished, there is

> already a WIKI there that is a really good start. I think it would

> be much

> more valuable to have actual WIKI space that can give detailed

> information

> about an ARG than to just have a spreadsheet somewhere.

> Anyway, the framework's there at http://wiki.argdb.com. It should be

> pretty

> simple to just start editing away and insert info about the games

> we've

> worked on. It'd be nice if someone came up with a standard credit/

> info box

> format for each game, but beyond that, folks can just start editing

> away!

> And if there's anyone with programming chops, take a look at the

> main ARGDB

> interface. It's a really good start and if finished would basically

> be an

> IMDB for ARGs if anyone wanted to take it on. :)

> Steve

> --------------------

> Steve Peters

> Founder, No Mimes Media

> http://www.nomimes.com

> mobile: 818.422.4898

> steve at nomimes.com

> twitter: vpisteve

> 34.183042,-118.281252

> On 4/3/09 9:08 AM, "Wendy Despain" <wendeth at wendydespain.com> wrote:

>> Well, I decided not to add the projects I've been involved in,

>> because

>> although I call them ARGs, nobody else can agree on what to call

>> them.

>> They resemble the Lost Experience and Regenesis the most, I suppose.

>> But they happened prior to 2001, and it seemed inappropriate to put

>> them first on this list ordered by date.

>> What agony this kind of list-building is!

>> Wendy Despain

>> quantumcontent.com

>>> We've done such a great job of answering the "what is an ARG"

>>> question

>>> that

>>> we're totally qualified to add "what is an ARE" and "how is an ARE

>>> different

>>> than ARG" to the pile.

>>> My personal opinion, we lack an umbrella term. Makes it hard for me

>>> parse

>>> out meaning in statements like:

>>> I think that starts to overextend the ARE label as I understand it.

>>> There

>>> was the "hope by the fans" of an E at the end of the AR (which in

>>> this

>>> case

>>> was just F.)

>>> But I can imagine some umbrella that would contain it.

>>> Cloverfield

>>> were AREs as well.

>>> And do you want to list ARGs that have been announced but not

>>> launched

>>> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pE0znztln2kmQruQyplrzeA&inv=arg_discu