[arg_discuss] we are obsolete (RE:Copycatwarningoveralternative reality games)

John Evans btradish at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 17:33:00 EDT 2008

>From: Mike Monello <mmonello at campfirenyc.com>

>I recently downloaded Braid because it is receiving extremely high praise for it's complex narrative. I'm about halfway through and I do think it is one of the more sophisticated marriages of video game and narrative, especially in that the player's "powers" and actions in the game intrinsically relate and expand upon narrative. We'll see if it holds up to the end, I guess.

I thought it was a good try, but the presentation was kind of lacking.
(Chunks of text that you had to stop playing to read.)

>But even there, the narrative gives the game a "literary" feel, rather than being a unique narrative experience that you couldn't have in any other medium. It's closer, but that nut still needs to be cracked!

I just attended an Indie Games Panel, which touched on all sorts of
game development issues. One of the the points I came away with was
that in order for games to reach their potential as art, they have to
draw upon the unique features of games...rather than just being a
bunch of linear cutscenes interrupted by shooting.

So, with that in mind, I think ARGs have the potential to provide
really interesting gaming experiences...Although, some of the people
doing them appear more interested in a new kind of storytelling.
(I'm not saying one is better than the other, but personally I'm
really interested in games!)

I would say something like World Without Oil is closer to the game
side of things, although perhaps it's more of a collaborative-
writing-organized-and-enabled-by-social-networking sort of thing.
(Admittedly, the "line" is quite blurry, if it exists at all. And I
didn't actually participate in WWO, so I may be off base.) Also,
Superstruct is offering explicit rewards with its scoring and
badges. So, maybe other people like this game-ish idea.

--
John Evans
Chaoseed Software - http://chaoseed.com