[arg_discuss] we are obsolete (RE: Copycat warning overalternative reality games)

Steve Peters scpeters at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:58:39 EDT 2008

In all seriousness, I think I can safely say that all of us are struggling
with the same issue. In the past, entertainment has by and large been
labeled based on its medium. Book, theater, film, tv show, yada yada. It's a
lot easier to quantify. But what do you call something that can come at you
from any and all of these mediums plus more? Big Cool Thing? Gonzo
Experience? Immersive Entertainment? Extended Media Experience? That For
Which Traditional Metrics Does Not Apply But Is Really Cool Trust Me (Hmm,
not enough vowels for a proper acronym)?

Honestly, I'm not so much concerned about what I should call it as much as
just doing it, at this point. Typically, clients and potential clients
(whether marketing execs or purely creative partners) still need to be SHOWN
what an "ARG" is, so the term is meaningless for them as well. Because it's
something different. Every. Time. :)

And just to remove all doubt: I was kidding about the PEE. I always am.