[arg_discuss] we are obsolete (RE: Copycat warning overalternative reality games)

Ivan Askwith iaskwith at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 9 14:50:49 EDT 2008

Immersive experiences, maybe?

I think a lot of words we often use to refine descriptions of what
we're doing end up being too specific to describe the entire field.

To name just a few common examples: entertainment, game, narrative,
interactive, participatory, cross-platform, transmedia. All of these
are often pivotal descriptors for what we've been grouping as ARGs,
but none are inescapable.

Entertainment comes the closest, because when these experiences aren't
entertaining, they rarely go anywhere. Even projects that clearly
classify as educational tend to entertain while imparting knowledge or
skill training.

Depending on your definition, "participatory" might also describe most
of them -- but if there's no active role for the "player/user" aside
from finding scattered elements and "reading" them as a gestalt
narrative, then even "participatory" and "interactive" can be slightly
misleading.

I think Mike's observation is important -- painting is a distinct term
aside from pointillism, classical, abstract, and so on. It describes
the medium more broadly. But what we refer to as ARGs are hard to
even neatly classify as a "medium," so much as a logic or meta-level
approach to using existing media and platforms to create specific,
immersive experiences.

Are we being over-reductive if we try to pin the form down too far?
Maybe it's comparable to painting (which leans toward a notion of
'authorship') or reading (which emphasizes the role of the
'receiver'), or maybe it's comparable to conversation (which gives
equal importance to the roles of all parties).

I don't have answers either... But I do think it's an interesting
problem, even if it's one that can get trapped and mired in semantic
debates.