[arg_discuss] On ARG Web Design

Hugh Davies marcus.helm at gmail.com
Sun May 25 00:16:48 EDT 2008

I run the odd street based treasure hunt though my arts group Analogue Art
Map and as the title suggests, we aim to use non-digital technology in
favour of obsolete media.
However we have used web sites and blog a couple of times for the reason
that John suggests above.

While its great to leave notes, hide maps, leave notes on bulletin boards,
jigsaw puzzles and other physical media, players can only experience these
things one at a time and player and non players alike might also remove them
from their locations destroying the interactive architecture at any point.
This also restricts your game to physical locations and only people within a
certain proximity are able to participate.

In terms of something that you can access anytime of day, a phone number
that can be called with an answering machine giving players more information
is always good. This also allows payers to leave messages and if its
engaged, there is sense of other players involvement.

Accepting a single location of play area, I also recommend reffering to
immovable objects such as statues, names of buildings and streets etc to
provide information. for example.

"add the street number of the city library with the post/zip code of its
location. Call that number to recieve your next clue"

Chances are that you have their phone number now too.

But getting back on subject, i believe that ARG's can be achieved without
websites, but are fairly limited to say the least.

hugh