[arg_discuss] A possible way forward? - first steps

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Sun May 4 06:44:53 EDT 2008

On 02/05/2008, John Evans <btradish at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >2) SOFTWARE + HOSTING

> >As for software, I think a blog type style for the front part. (We can

> >change this anytime of course.) The blog software is pretty easy to use for

> >everyone, enables us to have posts indicating updates and pages for each

> >initiative. Or perhaps someone recommends Moodle instead or some other

> >software? And then have a wiki and forum as well.

> >Who wants to host? It needs to be either free or at low cost. John Evans,

> >did you put your hand up?

Wow - great to see not one but multiple offers of hosting :).

The IGDA hosting is free but has been less than ideal :(.

I think nearly all problems to date came down to:
- lack of direct access to ssh/ftp install plugins and new software
- lack of direct access to webserver root and config

Wherever its hosted we also need to be sure we can get the data out
easily, both for backups and if we ever need to move it (I've been
bitten by that before).

Similar need for access applies to domain registration. We need to
have several people with admin access to the domain and each able to
pay renewal fees. Its very hard to workaround this stuff when your
site disappears at renewal time :).

Is that possible?

> Well, I have my Dreamhost account where I host a few websites.

Cool. If you've got DB and ssh or ftp access that should be fine.

If not, I've got a spare dedicated server that's currently just
running some simple wordpess blogs and is ridiculously overpowered for
what it's doing.