[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Mon Jun 23 17:50:06 EDT 2008

I'm with you, Mike. I think as soon as a player treats a character as
real, which they know (or suspect) to be a fictional construct of some
kind, that puts them in the realm of roleplay. They're placing their
own persona into the game.

Also, I don't think there's really any difference between a person
playing an Orc (or Shakespeare) and themselves. The vast majority of
players are not skilled enough to behave in any manner other than
their own, if that makes sense. And this isn't bashing the player's
skill levels - it's an observation of how rare real acting talent is.
So even though the Orc mask may give them permission to loosen up and
not worry so much about what other people might think - they're still
essentially being themselves.

But I'll provide the same caveat as Mike as well. I'm no academic. So
I may just be missing the point.

Wendy