[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Steffen P. Walz walz at arch.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 23 06:51:15 EDT 2008

hi christy & all,

not sure if this is helpful for the social interaction discussion:

for my ongiong phd thesis about the architecture of pervasive games
(not yet completed, and tentatively titled "the ludic machine"),
amongst other stuff, i put together an interlinked inventory of
smallish essays / statements that discuss particular spatial
archetypes which have some 'archaeological' value for pervasive game
design - i call these entries "play-grounds".

one of these essays is concerned with the space of the "theatre" and
the relation of the theatrical space to role-playing. for said essay,
i have created a little matrix with two continua setting into
relation space and performance mode, and plotted some examples into
the grid:

1) 4th wall - Broken 4th Wall - i.e. from clear actor/spectator
separation to actor-player identicalness;
2) Proscenium Theatre - Undefined space - i.e. from a strict
demarcation of actor area and player area to an undefined performance
space.

find a preliminary version of the text including the matrix here:

http://wiki.caad.arch.ethz.ch/Organisation/LudicMachine

hope this inspires the discussion - this may not be exactly on social
interaction as discussed in the past postings, but may help to
understand how historically, there have been attempts to involve an
audience into a pre-programmed play. or so,-).

spw