[arg_discuss] The (Marketing) Effects Of Alternate Reality Games

Wendy Despain wendeth at wendydespain.com
Sat Jun 14 15:47:52 EDT 2008

Hi Sven,

I've mostly worked in ARGs related to television shows, and believe
me, those clients want to measure exactly how their marketing dollars
are contributing to the success of the product (the show).

One thing we did would be to measure traffic of websites over time.
The show aired at different times in different cities, so when a new
url was mentioned on the show we could track the response and see
spikes in traffic immediately after 35 minutes into the hour, for
instance.

We reported weekly to the clients with information on web traffic,
forum traffic (and topics) and ARG progress. Unfortunately, all that
information is locked up tight and can't be made public.

Ultimately, our ARG had to impact show ratings and that's an
exceptionally difficult thing to correlate, but since most of our ARGs
were intended to build up to the launch of the show and get people to
watch that first premiere episode of the season, getting a good rating
on that premiere showed we did something right.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com