[arg_discuss] The Online Performance Game. A new genre?

Global Police swm at globalpolice.org
Wed Jun 11 14:57:17 EDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Sjoerd Wennekes wrote:

> - Can you name some other games that might be OPG's?

This is some self-promotion, but SFZero (http://sfzero.org) probably
fits your definition of an Online Performance Game. We've called it a
"Collaborative Production Game", and others have referred it and
others like it as "mission-based". Some of our missions later turned
up on The SOHO Project (a-HEM), so if you're familiar with that
project then you've got the gist of it. For SFZero, players create
the great majority of missions - Jane McGonigal's "This Might Be a
Game" discusses that aspect of the game in Ch 7. She has referred to
games that work this way as "superhero" games - which nicely draws
attention to their individual-empowerment aspects.

We've been working on a similar project geared toward engaging high
school students in American History studies. A Brazillian ARG called
Teoria das Cordas (Guilherme Coube worked on it, and I'm not sure who
else) had a component called O Tambor (sadly no longer live at
otambor.com) which was also similar. In this game, the "OPG" was a
narrative component of the larger work. O Tambor was represented as
the first stage of a potentially-sinister social experiment being
conducted by a Sao Paulo psychiatrist, which highlights some of the
(justifiable) concern over the "crowds do what this website tells
them" model!

Miranda July's "Learning to Love You More", which is also assignment-
driven, but without points (or community moderation, AFAIK) or the
social networking aspect.

It's been a very seductive model for a widening array of projects with
educational, community-service, urban exploration, and job-training
aims, but it's worth noting that those objectives can be undermined by
the game structure. Unless things like creativity, detail, daring,
and presentation are correctly rewarded by the game (or, unless junk
is discouraged), you'll end up in a situation where many players treat
assignments as puzzles which should be completed as quickly as
possible in a way that meets the narrowest reading of the assignment.
If the game's structure encourages quality of assignment completions
over quantity of completions, you should end up with a community that
helps tremendously to encourage noobs to meet those standards, rewards
great work by other players (whether with points or just respect), and
drives the social "plot" of the competition in a fun and constructive
way. That's particularly important because your project will
(hopefully!) soon reach a level of participation where your team can't
necessarily award quality points in a timely and consistent way.
It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact requiring players to
make videos has on all of this (if you're already going to the trouble
of making a video, you might as well do it well, right?)

Whew, that all came out pretty dry, but it's really fun stuff to work
on, I swear! Hopefully it gives you a few more things to look at or
think about. I don't read Dutch, but the site looks great, and I
think the focus on video will serve you well. Best of luck!

-Sean

Sean W. Mahan
The Playtime Anti-Boredom Society (is looking for work!)
sean at paragoogle.com
C:415-430-7378