[arg_discuss] Open Source ARGs

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Jul 30 08:15:05 EDT 2008

> to be a crutch, which would be bad...) So, I have two questions.

> First, is this actually a good idea that we should be thinking

> about? And second, how can someone best implement it? Maybe a

Something I'm working on is in this vein, but the roots were
there in a previous (not-traditional-ARG) game I did:

http://www.gamegrene.com/wiki/Main_Page

Ghyll ran for about two years with the premise: "The basic idea is that
each player takes on the role of a scholar, from before scholarly
pursuits became professionalized (or possibly after they ceased to be).
You are cranky, opinionated, prejudiced, and eccentric. You are also
collaborating with a number of your peers -- the other players -- on the
construction of an encyclopedia about Ghyll. Despite the fact that your
peers are self-important, narrow-minded dunderheads, they are honest
scholars. No matter how strained their interpretations are, their facts
are as accurate as historical research can make them. So if you cite an
entry, you have to treat its factual content as true! (Though you can
argue vociferously with the interpretation and introduce new facts that
shade the interpretation.)"

The ARG I'm currently spec'ing out (dunno if it'll go anywhere) will be
considered "Ghyll Round 3" (the first two rounds having been played on
the wiki via the Lexicon rules). Ghyll grew out of nothing - everything
on the wiki was player made, and the goal was to accept everything as
fact; a guiding principle of the Round 3 ARG would be much the same.

Everything in Ghyll is released under a Creative Commons license.

I'm envisioning situations where the players are given a chance to write
as their own scholar for the Ghyll Encyclopedia. Accepted entries (with
new "facts" and knowledge) become canon, and part of the existing
Encyclopedia/wiki. Whilst I haven't fleshed them out, I see "me" and the
players getting into factual "battles" - where the game presents a
puzzle (or situation) and, instead of "solving" it, players write
entries that make the situation less dangerous, worrisome, etc.

There will be open submissions in the sense that every player can submit
an article for the Encyclopedia. But, the Encyclopedic organization
already has precedents for quality control - the Encyclopedants. They'd
be the ones who would finally "accept" an entry as fact (or fix any
errors that blindly contradict current facts) - all others would be
disregarded as unpublishable (and thus, not canon).

> your character write a blog post about her scary encounter with

> a freaky MiB looking for a middle-aged psychic. I think there's

> some really cool potential here.

See also Noteworthy, which I've been wanting to run for a while.

http://www.allenvarney.com/noteworthy.html

--
Morbus Iff ( i still fail to see what this has to do with morocco )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/