[arg_discuss] The Argument against ARGs

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Thu Jul 24 09:41:09 EDT 2008

Ah, give us the patience to know what we can't change, and I fear this might
be one of them, and you can blame most of us on this list for that. The
press will always focus on the shiniest bit on the ground, and that will
likely always be branded marketing ARGs.

Mike: during the first panel at ARGfest, I was actually concerned. The topic
was extending realities, and while Evan was a tremendous moderator and Lance
Weiler tried to throw a friendly hand grenade or two, that panel could help
but drift to "hoax as good marketing". I couldn't resist throwing the
question to them, "After advertising agencies move on to the next flavor of
the week, will you still make ARGs?" I think the panel's general answer was,
"Who'd ever get tired of ARGs on move on to another flavor?"

The surest way to fight that misperception is for someone to make a huge
game that's immensely popular that isn't funded that way and doesn't serve a
marketing purpose. But then people still think blairwitch.com was a
marketing play.