[arg_discuss] Social Interaction in ARGs

Markus Montola markus.montola at uta.fi
Fri Jul 4 02:35:17 EDT 2008

Back again at the email a lot later.

We have coined the term "minimalist role-playing" for many role-playish
situations that emerge in pervasive games. It happens primarily when you
have to perform a character in order to interact with the game sensibly:
For instance, if you play the role of the captain on the bridge of the
Enterprise, and the game hardware only reacts to voice commands such as
"Computer! Activate the Tachyon Shields!", you are role-playing -- even
though your knowledge of (and interest in) the character is small. You
play the captain of Enterprise, but don't really know/care whether he's
Kirk or Picard.

I think such interactions are becoming more common of late. Sometimes it
comes up like the computer game Uplink, which changes your computer into
your game character's computer and allows you to hack international
targets, or an ARG, where you don't know whether you are talking with an
NPC or an outsider. If you play a tad role-playish ARG like Sanningen om
Marika, which explicitly told the players to pretend it is real as the
only rule in the advertisements, you start making more difference
between your "ordinary self" and "role-played self".

I've discussed Minimalist Role-Playing in this paper. Please note that
it is written from the other end of the bridge, for a larper audience.
Minimalist role-playing enters the story under the heading "playing
without characters", there's a lot of stuff before it. We are giving it
some proper treatment in our forthcoming book, which does not have a
publication date just yet.
http://www.liveforum.dk/kp07book/lifelike_montola.pdf

Also, you should take a look at this paper; it discusses the ARGlike
larp Momentum, in which a nice double life strategy was used. The story
is quite complicated so I won't try to summarize it, but it's all about
your ordinary self, your game self and a nice way of introducing
separate characters into the equation. And what happens when your
character meets your mother.
http://www.liveforum.dk/kp07book/lifelike_stenros.pdf

Best,

- Markus

PS. If ARG is "defined" by lack of role-played characters, what should
we call the group of hybrids which look like ARGs and taste like ARGs
but where designers *or players themselves* come up with pretended,
fictional or secretly fabricated characters?

Brian Clark kirjoitti:

> "I don't quite understand why all of you think it isn't a factor, and don't

> see any difference between roleplay in ARGs and RPGs."

> I see a huge diversity of roleplaying within individual ARGs and RPGs, let

> alone in differences between the two genres.

> Once of my cast members for Eldritch Errors is a fairly well known LARP

> (live action roleplaying) figure, and she too wrote about the differences

> there. Quoting her:

> "In RPG's, there is a clear line between 'character' and 'self', or at least

> clearer. When you are 'in game' you are not you, but a character that you

> have created; and when the game is over, you go back to being you. ARG's are

> different, in this way, because while people maintain an 'in game' and 'out

> of game' understanding, their persona 'in game' is really them, the actual

> person. Granted, in some cases it is an amplified version of themselves, but

> regardless, it makes the interactions complicated on a whole new level that

> is not touched upon often, and most times purposefully avoided, in RPG's."

> From: http://www.schmeldritch.com/2007/11/on-the-inside-looking-in.html

> She also focused on the difference between self and character between the

> two, and pointed to a John Hughes 1988 paper entitled "Therapy is Fantasy:

> Roleplaying, Healing and the Construction of Symbolic Order":

> http://www.rpgstudies.net/hughes/therapy_is_fantasy.html

> In that paper, Hughes tries to define roleplaying as "a recreational [...]

> translation of private fantasy activities such as daydreaming into social

> and game context that is structured and controlled by an agreed set of

> rules."

> He's interested in it as a therapist, though, because:

> "One of the characteristics of collective fantasy formations such as

> roleplaying is that because the creation of the fantasy is a group

> communicative process, one is able to access the processes of symbol

> formation in ways that are not possible when studying reports of dreams and

> daydreaming. As such, collective fantasy stands as a prime example of the

> symbolic interactionalist approach to the construction of meaning, a true

> universe of discourse."

> To boil that back to Markus, maybe the difference is that ARGs tend to have

> a smaller distance between ordinary self and pretend self (as in "I'm trying

> on an alternate version of myself") than "fantasy roleplaying" (where I

> don't mean fantasy as in "elves and wizards" so much as "I'm escaping from

> myself into a fantasy".)

> Both, though, are a collective symbolic process that is constructing

> meaning, and Hughes would argue both give you a symbolic peek into the minds

> of the participants.

>>> Wendy