[arg_discuss] Personal Influences/Antecedents

Gupfee gupfee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:52:55 EST 2008

Two things that have had a profound impact on my writing style/creative
thought process:

1. The book "Black Tickets" by Jayne Anne Phillips. Phillips' short stories
are compact, powerful gems, some no more than a paragraph or two long. She
taught me that more is not always better, and that the power of words is in
their careful choice.

2. Laurie Anderson. The first time I heard "O Superman" on the radio, I
literally stopped whatever I was doing and stood there, mesmerized,
listening to this odd, beautiful song float through me. I was even more
impressed when I made it to my first concert and saw the vast wealth of
multimedia she used to support her music. I think Laurie Anderson's
performance art was my first experience with cross media. :)

Marie